Carraig and Dungourney must do it all again

After a thrilling match in Lisgoold on a perfect summers afternoon for hurling, Carraig na bhFear and Dungourney finished all square in the East Cork JAHC quarter final. A late Dungourney point deep into injury time saw the sides tied, but Carraig will take great heart from a second half performance that saw a 5 point deficit become a 3 point lead in the closing stages. Paul Murphy hit 7 points from play for Carraig as he gave an exhibition of hurling, while the Geaney brothers Timmy and Paul were outstanding in defence.

Carraig started the better of the two sides and despite some early wides, points from Murphy followed and we lead 0-03 to 0-01 after 10 minutes. Another point from Con Burns saw us 0-04 to 0-01 ahead after a strong opening 15 minutes but we found ourselves level soon afterwards. A few chances to clear the ball in defence were missed and Dungourneys Kevin Kelleher was on hand to finish to the net to leave the sides level again. Dungourney were now coming into the game and their half back line in particular were providing a strong platform, but Carraig continued to create some good chances, with Murphy in particular a real threat throughout in the right corner while Aaron Dorgan also picked off some fine points. The introduction of Paul O’Keeffe to the half forward line also made an impact, with Aidan Hegarty reverting to midfield.

Approaching half time, the sides were level 0-06 to 1-03, before a late brace of points from Dungourney allied to a point in reply from Carraig saw us trail by a single point at the break 1-05 to 0-07 having played with the wind. Dungourney started the second half witha¬† point from a Shane Hegarty free and when the same player struck a long range free a few minutes later, it dropped straight into the net having passed through a crowd of players. This left Carraig trailing 2-06 to 0-07 and our championship aspirations hanging by a thread. But the team responded in brilliant fashion. Colm O’Reilly was introduced as a substitute and immediately struck for a goal, beating his man on the right wing and driving a powerful shot which beat the Dungourney keeper at his near post, just making it over the line. This lifted Carraig and Timmy Geaney began to dominate in defence, with younger brother Paul also getting on top of his opposite number. Paul O’Keeffe was a constant threat and the shooting of Paul Murphy and Aaron Dorgan dragged Carraig back into this game. Further points had the sides level 1-10 to 2-07 on 46 minutes and it was anybodys game.

Dungourney took the lead again, Shane Hegarty again proving to be a constant threat, but Carraig took control with four points in five minutes to lead by three with full time approaching, as Paul Murphy and Aaron Dorgan both hit great points. Dungourney continued to press and converted two frees to leave a single point between the sides with 62 minutes played. They then won another free 70 yards out, which dropped short, but Carraigs clearance fell to Dungourneys Niall Motherway who sent over the equaliser with the last puck of the game, sending the match to a replay.

Team :

Conor Hegarty
Shane Horgan, Daniel Coleman, James Forde;
Paul Geaney, Timmy Geaney, Brian Hegarty;
Martin Hickey, James Meehan;
Aaron Dorgan, Aidan Hegarty, Con Burns;
Paul Murphy, Cian Dorgan, John Forde

Subs Used:
Paul O’Keeffe, Colm O’Reilly

The time for the replay is 7:00 pm on Tues 29th July, once again we call on all our supporters to come along and give the team your support.