Gleoise na Carraige – Oct 2019


Muintir Carraig na bhFear…..o am go h-am, tharlaionn rudai ionspaireadach agus annamh. Do se do chreidte, ach ta ar gcumann ag ullumhu don dcead uair riamh chun pairt a glacadh sa chluiche cheannais Soisir na Contae Chorcai 2019. Taimid ag mine geire i rith an coicis dar gcionn, ag cleachtadh, ag ceiliuradh agus ag smaoineamh faoin turas a thainig an foireann agus an chumann an bhliain seo agus le himeacht na blianta. Taimid an bhroduil as an bhfoireann agus an  fonn ata acu chun a ndicheall a dheanamh. Cad ata idan duinn, n’fheadar am baiste, ach impiomid ar gach duine, faigh do dathanna dearg agus glas, glaoch o bun go barr “ CARRAIG NA BHFEAR ABU…….NI PAROISTE GAN FOIREANN”.


Agus cad mar gheall ar laoch mor, Tadhg O Donoghue, fear a bhuaigh bonn Uile Eireann leis an bhFoireann Mionur Chorcai I ndiaidh Gaillimh cupla seachtain o shin. Taimid an bhroduil as Tadhg, fear og gan gothai ort fein, fear diograiseach agus ta todchai mor i ndan leis. Comhghairdeas aris Tadhg…..agus do bhi fear eile o Carraig na bhFear ag obair go dian sa chulra. Ba mhait linn aitheantas a thabhairt do Colm Crowley agus gach rud a dhein se chun an foireann Chorcai a ullumhu i rith na mbliana.



We hope you enjoy reading the latest news from our GAA Club. And don’t forget, the buildup has started…..COUNTY JUNIOR HURLING FINAL 2019…….Stay connected to the latest club updates for more information about the match details. It is time to get your RED AND GREEN colours out and celebrate being part of something special.


Wille Sheehan ( Juvenile Chairman), Tadhg O Donoghue, Bobby O Dwyer, Jim Hickey( Club Chairman). This photo was taken when both Tadhg and Bobby brought the Tom Markham Cup to Scoil an Athar Tadhg, Carraig na bhFear recently.



Carraig na bhFear Juvenile GAA

As a very busy GAA season comes to an end it has been a very busy year for our Juvenile Section. It has been a year with plenty of training, matches and blitzes and every player has given his best performance.

Congratulations to our Under 14 Team who reached the Football League Shield Final.  The match was played in Whitescross on Saturday the 19th of October against Whitescross. It was an epic battle right to the end but unfortunately it was not to be Carraig’s day.  Well done to the players and mentors.  We live to fight another day.

Good Luck to our Minor Team in the upcoming Football Shield Final versus Whitechurch. Date & Time to be confirmed. Please keep on eye on our Facebook Page for fixture details and please come along and support.

Future of the Juvenile Section of Carraig na bhFear GAA Club:

It has been a long and tough year for some of our teams, mentors and coaches in relation to numbers.  A problem that faces many clubs.

After long consideration and several meetings we approached Whitescross to consider amalgamating with them.   A motion was brought to the Club Executive in regard to amalgamating with Whitescross and and EGM was held on October 11th 2019. Following widespread discussion, both for and against, the motion was carried. Carraig na bhFear GAA club have now written to the County Board asking for permission to amalgamate our u12, u14, u16 and Minor Teams with Whitescross. Minutes of the EGM are available here:

This decision has been made in the best interest of our young players so we can aid their development and provide them with competitive teams going forward. We have a strong relationship with Whitescross both as neighbours and on the GAA Field.

Our history is long with Whitescross and dates back to the 1980’s where we were previously amalgamated with them and were previously known as St Colmcille’s.   We as a Club are very excited about this new opportunity and would ask all players and mentors for their continuing support.

The Juvenile Section of Carraig na bhFear GAA Club is run by a dedicated team of Officers, Mentors and Coaches.  All who dedicate their own free time for the love of the sport and love of their club.  A big thank you to all involved and we look forward to the next season.

Finally on behalf of the Juvenile Section we want to wish Best of Luck to the Carraig na bhFear Junior A Hurling Team  in reaching their first ever County Final. A momentous occasion and we encourage all to come along to the Final and shout Carraig na bhFear into the History Books.  (Details of the match to follow) .Ar Aghaidh na BhFear.


The Story So Far……


Last minute goal seals the deal for Rovers and Breaks Carraig Hearts.


East Cork Junior A Hurling Final 2019

Carraig na bhFear 0-16 Russell Rovers 1-16

62 minutes on the clock, B Murphy on his left side,  a quick glance and thar an trasnan……cue another guttural roar from the gallery. Teams level, the game in injury time…what had God decried for the two gladiatorial teams squaring off to each other? Carraig had just equalized for the 8th time in the game. Do bhi na foirne ar chomhscor, 0-16 le cheile. Was this going to end in a draw or was one team going to deliver the one defining moment of this memorable East Cork Final? Puck out from the Russell Rovers goalkeeper set up a quick counter attack and within another 10 seconds the ball was in Carraig’s net.  Defining…in the context of the game, yes….in the context of the season…..not yet!
The story of the game threw up some enthralling subplots and twists. Do bhi an cluiche ag tra o thus go deiridh, an dha foireann ag stracail a ndicheall chun an chorn cailiul a bhuachaint. The tempo of the game never wavered with Carraig making the better start and dominating the early exchanges. The two Forde brothers were dominant in general play as was A Dorgan.  The teams both lead by two points in the early parts, Carraig lead 0-4 to -2 after 11 minutes, then the  Rovers took over and lead 0-6 to 0-4 after 18 minutes. But back came the men from the Breac Gaeltacht and with D Sweeney and B Murphy doing well in the inside line, Carraig went three clear 0-10 to 0-7 after 27 minutes in the first half. But the twin attack of Beausang and Hartnett were leading the Rovers attack and as the teams approached half time, ni raibh faic eatharthu, 0-10 a piece.


The second 30 minutes was just as enthralling. The score taking slowed as conditions became a bit more challenging but the ferocity and pace of the hurling never relented. Carraig had their best period of the game in the first 15 minutes of this half, but crucially their superiority was not reflected on the scoreboard. Goal chances and point chances went abegging, but confidence never wavered. The fight was still coming from Carraig. Rovers then enjoyed their purple spell and with 5 minutes to go, they lead 0-16 to 0-14. An raibh freagra ag Carraig…..gan amhras ar bith. With J Forde producing a man of the match performance i lar na pairce, Carraig reeled in the two point deficit and were again unlucky not to have gone ahead with a few shot selections causing a few anxious shakes of many peoples heads. If only….that was a sentiment that many held when the final whistle was blown. Hurt and Disappointment were the prevailing sentiments, but also a deep pride. We had brought the fight, lessons to be learned. But the fight ain’t over.

: B Casey, T Sheehan, D O’Driscoll, G Geaney, J Forde, T Geaney, P Geaney, J Forde, A Dorgan  J Meehan P Sheehan, , P Murphy, B Murphy, A Hegarty, D Sweeney.

Fir Ionaid: B Sheehan, C Hayes, S Farrell.


Carraig Do Enough and Make it Through to Next Round of County Championship

Carraig Na bhFear 1-11 Cloughduv 1-11

Ballinora was the venue for the meeting of Muskerry champions Cloughduv and East Cork runner-up Carraig Na bhFear in the opening round of the County junior “A” hurling championship. Cloughduv who got the better of Eire Og in their divisional final, began this contest well with Jack Kelleher, Aodh Twomey, Glyn Egan, Kevin Walsh and Michael Dunne all on the scoreboard in the opening quarter. Carraig Na bhFear had started slowly but a point from a James Forde side-line cut was followed by points from David  Sweeney, Forde again from play, Brian Sheehan and two John Forde points as Carraig Na bhFear held a slender 0-6 to 0-5 first quarter lead.

Slowly the east Cork side began to take control as James Forde, Sweeney, Brendan Murphy, John Forde and Paul Geaney all had points to stretch the lead with only Darragh Walsh and Ciaran Canty managing points in reply for Cloughduv. Carraig Na bhFear got a further boost just on the stroke of half time when Paul Sheehan cut through to raise a green flag and send Carraig Na bhFear to the interval leading by 1-11 to 0-7.

Points from Paul Sheehan and Brendan Murphy extended the lead, but a sticky Cloughduv outfit refused to throw in the towel and points from Aodh Twomey and Jack Kelleher kept them in touch at the end of the third quarter, trailing by 1-13 to 0-9. Fresh legs also helped as Jack Kelleher landed a free, but Paul Murphy, John Forde and Aaron Dorgan had vital points for Carraig. While Kelleher added another point and Glyn Egan managed a 59th minute goal, it came too late to stop Carraig na bhFear from progressing to the quarter final. It was not their best display by ant means but they are now into the last eight so   they will be happy with that.


Carraig Na bhFear: P Sheehan 1-1, John Forde 0-4, James Forde 0-3, D

Sweeney 0-2, B Murphy 0-2, P Murphy, D Sweeney, P Geaney and A Dorgan 0-1 each.

An Foireann: Barry Casey, Tomas Sheehan, Dee O’Driscoll, Gary Geaney, James Forde, Timmy Geaney, Paul Geaney, John Forde, Aaron Dorgan, Brendan Murphy, Paul Sheehan, Paul Murphy, Brian Sheehan, Aidan Hegarty and David Sweeney.

Fir Ionaid: MartinHickey for B Sheehan, James Meehan for B Murphy, Jack Ahern for

John Forde, Padraig O’sullivan for P Murphy.



Carraig Withold Courcey fightback to reach County Semi FInal.


Carraig na bhFear 2-13 Courcey Rovers 1-13


On the balance of play, this was a game that Carraig deserved to win, but the result was in doubt right until the last puck of the game.  A dominant first half performance had Carraig ahead by 6 points, but d’athraigh an sceal sa dara leath. With 5 minutes left to play, do bhi na foirne ar chomhscor agus n’fheadar ce a bhuafadh an cath suimiuil. Thankfully, Carraig’s forward division responded when the need was greatest and brought the club into only its second ever County Junior Hurling semi final.


The weather had played a big part in the week leading up to this game, with heavy rainfall leading to a changed landscape and underfoot conditions. Thankfully as the game started to get underway, the clouds parted, thainig an solas amach agus do bhi la tirim agus deas againn. Carraig started with intent, Messrs Geaney, Sheehan, and Sweeney were to the forefront with the Forde brothers continuing to set the tempo also. D Sweeney was proving to be Carraig’s most potent asset and his goal on 6 minutes gave Carraig an early four point lead. Back came Courcey’s who got in the act with a well finished goal and after ten minutes there was a point between the teams. Carraig 1-03 Courcey’s 1-02. However, Carraig’s half back line and half forward line were moving well and when Sweeney sa chuinne received quick ball, the result was devastating. He bagged his second goal on 14 minutes and Carraig lead by 4 points again. In truth, Carraig left some chances behind them in the remaining 10 minutes of the first half as they failed to hammer home their superiority. Forde, Hegarty and Sheehan got some tidy points and at half time, do bhiomar ar muin na muice, Carraig 2-07 Courcey Rovers 1-04.


Ach ni mar a shiltear bitear. Courceys changed their formation in the second half and went with three midfielders and two forwards  in their inside line. It meant that the middle third of the field was plodaithe le daoine and this suited the men from Ballinspittle. The effect was not seen immediately as Carraig were comfortably answering each scoring spurt by Courcey’s with their own minors from Sheehan and Forde notably. However from the 12th minute until the 25 minute in the second half, Carraig went scoreless and from a four point lead, the game was tied, Carraig 2-10 Courcey’s 1-13, as Courceys scored four unanswered points, ( plus a number of poor wides which were vital in the overall result ).

So, what was Carraig’s answer? Following the introduction of fresh minds, subs Hayes, O Sullivan and Sheehan helped turn the tide. But nios tabhachtai, the Carraig defence, lead by the senior Geaney brother, repelled a number of dangerous Courcey attacks. And with a better supply of ball going into the forwards, Carraig started to tack on some vital scores. P Sheehan and two Forde frees gave Carraig a cushion of a three point lead as the dying embers approached. Courcey’s tried valiantly to engineer a goal chance but do dhein an cul baire agus na culaithe go leir ard eacht. And so in the end, it was enough.  A mixture of relief and satisfaction washed over the team and management as another hurdle had been conquered. Not a vintage performance, but a performance that needed grit and hardwork when things were not always going our way. And those attributes will be needed again as we enter the last four of this notoriously difficult but prestigious competition. We are there on merit, it still feels too soon for this journey to end!


An Foireann: B Casey, T Sheehan, D O’Driscoll, G Geaney, J Forde, T Geaney, P Geaney, J Forde, A Dorgan, M Hickey, P Sheehan, A Hegarty, P Murphy, B Murphy, D Sweeney.

Fir Ionaid:  C Hayes, P O’Sullivan, B Sheehan.


Carraig make History and Advance to the County Final ‘19

Carraig na bhFear 1-18 Ballinascarthy 0-17.

This was big. The tension streamed from the stands. Level with 8 minutes to go, each ball fought for with venom and honesty on a pitch that played like Augusta in April. Who would prevail? The answer came from the Breac Gaeltacht and each score in those last 8 minutes was greeted by a bigger guttural roar then the previous one. Carraig na bhFear Junior Hurlers made a small bit of history on Saturday Oct 19th, by beating the Carbery Divisional Champions Ballinascarthy in a titanic tussle that left supporters from both sides breathless and satiated after 65 minutes of super hurling. Some tears flowed after the referee’s whistle blew, memories of failing at many hurdles before, realisation that we had earned the right to dine at a county final and stand there with pride…..mar a duirt me cheana…..THIS WAS BIG.

The story of the game had different defining moments. Ballinascarthy started well, and were two points to the good before Carraig made inroads on the scoreboard. With P Sheehan having the game of his life, Carraig enjoyed a very profitable 20 minutes and the dangerous inside trio of Murphy, Murphy and Sweeney came to the fore. B Murphy goaled after 9 minutes after a super run up the left wing and possibly should have goaled 5 minutes later as his shot hit the butt of the upright.  The Carraig half back line in which the two Geaney brothers dominated kept the supply of ball going to the forward line constant and after 20 minutes, Carraig lead 1-08 to 0-06. But Ballinascarthy, willed on by a vocal sideline and crowd, refused to bend the knee. They scored four points in a row and levelled the game. Ach do fuair P Sheehan an scor deireanach sa leath, cuilin gleoite i lar na pairce, ach ni raibh amhras ar bith ann, beidh cath mor i ndan duinn sa dara leath.

The tempo of the second half never wavered as the teams both enjoyed periods of dominance. Carraig answered any foray that Ballinascarthy made in the first 12 minutes of that half, and the score was 1-12 to 14 points at the halfway point. Do bhi an chluiche idir dha cheann na mea. Ballinascarthy had managed to get on top in their half back line and midfield and in turn, they created four good scoring chances that were not availed of. Carraig had to weather this period and the hard work of A Dorgan, the half back line of Forde, Geaney and Geaney and also an chul baire, B Casey kept things steady. The introduction of Messrs Hayes and O Suilleabhain made a big difference and helped sway the game in Carraig’s favour. As the game entered the last 10 minutes, do bhi na foirne ar chomhscor, 1-13 to 0-16 ach fuair Carraig lamh in uachtar aris agus do bhi se thar a bheith tabhachtach. A flurry of points from Dorgan, Forde, Murphy, Hegarty and Sheehan meant that with time nearly up, Carraig had a four point lead 1-18 to 0-17. Ballinascarthy tried to find a way through for a goal but the sextet of defenders and goalkeeper were imperious in their defending. And as the whistle blew….well….let your imagination do the rest. And so, we head for a county final against our fellow rivals from the Barony, Russell Rovers.  Interesting times ahead…..let the build up begin!

An Foireann: B Casey, T Sheehan, D O’Driscoll, G Geaney, J Forde, T Geaney, P Geaney, J Forde ( 0-04 (3f), A Dorgan (0-02) M Hickey (0-01) P Sheehan (0-06) A Hegarty ( 0-01) P Murphy (0-01) B Murphy (1-03) D Sweeney.


Fir Ionaid: C Hayes, P O Sullivan.



Brothers in Arms

Here are a few photos of the different sets of brothers who are part of the Historic Carraig na bhFear Junior Hurling Team 2019.


James & Donncha Meehan.


John & James Forde


Stephen & Barrie Casey


Michael & Jack Ahern


Conor & Padraig O Brien


Paul, Timmy & Gary Geaney.