Stirring Second Half sees Carraig Footballers win in Style

Carraig na bhFear 0-17 Cloyne 1-09.

East Cork Junior “A” Football Championship Quarter Final.

Sat 9th June – Lisgoold

For those of us with a negative disposition or prone to casual cliches, they could have found much to support the view that this was the’ same old Carraig’ following the first half of this JAFC quarter final at Lisgoold on Saturday evening last. True the men in green and red had started brightly. Opening points from the boot of Paul O’Keefe (x2), Paul Murphy and Colm O’Reilly had moved them into a lead of four points to one. However, a crucial inability to engage in the physical battle in the middle third, gave Cloyne a foothold that propelled them into swift action. They rattled off 1-5 with the probings of Paudie O Sullivan to the fore. A solitary point in reply from James Forde gave them a tidy lead of 1-6 to five points at the short whistle. Carraig trundled off to the dressing room with questions wringing in their ears about their mental constitution for the battle. Do bhi udar imni ann I measc  phobail na Carraige.

We are all prone to believing that half time orations inspire teams to greater things. There was no doubt that our lads were in a hole. “in umar na haimileise, ‘se an smaoineamh  a bhi ag fear amhain. And in these scenarios, it takes courage, self awareness of ones mistakes and key tactical interventions to stem the tide. When the vital corrections in terms of application and personnel were made, the team were transformed. Mar a deireann an seanfhocail    “Teann focal le gaoth ach teann buille le cnamh”. The timid nature of the first half was transformed by a lust for physical contact best exemplified by substitute Martin Hickey, the indefatigable Daniel Coleman, ageless wonder Con Burns and a mean defence that only coughed up three more scores. Although a numerical advantage ensued due to the dismissal of a Cloyne corner back, no one could deny that the men of Carraig played expansive, innovative football.  Moving the ball at pace, the scores quickly followed. O’Keefe, O’Reilly and John Forde had us level before Cloyne nudged ahead by two.  Carraig again thorough the sorcerer O’Keeffe found another gear to sprint ahead heading into the last ten minutes. More scores flowed from the boot of Hickey and O’Keefe (x3) to leave us five ahead. There was the customary charge from the Cloyne men but with Stephen Casey curbing the threat of the elder Diarmuid O’Sullivan on squares edge, the final result was in no doubt. The full time whistle blew and the quiet satisfaction of players, management and supporters alike was there for all to see. A job well done and on we go to the semi final. Nothing won yet but for members and players alike it was a valuable lesson that nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.

An Foireann:

C Hayes,

C Cooney, S Casey, T Sheehan,

M Aherne, A Dorgan, D Coleman,

T Geaney, S Horgan,

James Forde(1pt), P O’Keeffe(7pts), John Forde(1pt),

P Murphy(1pt), C O’Reilly(5pts), B Murphy.

Fir Ionaid: M Hickey (1pt), C Burns (1pt) C Hill.

Black Card: J Forde, C O’Reilly.